The Visual Computing Lab of the Information Technologies Institute, which is part of the Centre for Research and Technology Hellas has an open position for a Research associate who will join the team of the H2020 project “RESCUER – First responder – centered support toolkit for operating in adverse and infrastructure-less Environments”
The Visual Computing Lab (VCL) consists of four 4 full-time senior researchers and more than 70 Postdoctoral Researchers and Research Associates with the mission of achieving and spreading scientific and technological excellence in the field of multimedia and vision systems. VCL enjoys a distinguished reputation for innovation, receiving direct funding from private, national and international companies and the EU.VCL team has participated in more than 70 European and National research projects.
RESCUER aims to design and develop a First-Responder-centered technology toolkit that will empower the next-generation of First Responders (FR) by enhancing their operational capacity and safety, specifically in adverse conditions, both environmental and infrastructure-wise. Adopting the “HERO” (enHanced nEw eRa first respOnder) concept, RESCUER will deliver a toolkit offering (1) sense augmentation through enhanced sensorial input, (2) precise and infrastructure-less self positioning, (3) cognitive support and multi-sense AR interfaces, improving their focus and capability to utilise information and (4) robust ad-hoc intra-team communications for both verbal and data exchanges, all delivered over enhanced power and communication autonomy features.
Extending the above capabilities, through the concept of a building black box, RESCUER will also introduce the capability of extracting environment information “in situ and infrastructure-wise”, during a disaster. The project will achieve these goals using lightweight, non-obtrusive, and natural interaction with devices and sensors that offer additional information layers augmenting human sensing and operational capabilities, rendering FRs better aware of their surrounding conditions and able to make fast and efficient decisions to remain safe in the line of duty.
In this research context, we are looking for talented candidates to join our team as Research Associates.
- Design and development of technologies to support First Responders during crises management
- Support collection and analysis of user requirements and specification of system architecture.
- Design,develop and train machine learning algorithms for video and image denoising in adverse conditions (deraining/defogging)
- Design and develop data fusion for self and victim positioning and orientation during crises
- Develop augmented reality applications to increase operational capacity of First Responders and provide them better environment awareness
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Knowledge/Experience in developing machine learning / computer vision / graphics algorithms
- Very good oral and written communication skills in English
Nice to have
- PhD in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience working in European Research Projects
- Accepted scientific publications in Computer Vision / Machine learning or related technical fields
What we offer
- Competitive salary package
- Exposure to cutting-edge technologies
- Very friendly and professional working environment
- Further career development opportunities
The position will be open until 30-06-2021 at 13:00